Self Care for Achilles Tendonitis


Follow the step-wise approach below to treat your Achilles Tendonitis

All products shown are available at our On-line Store and can be found at local pharmacies, quality brace shops and other retailers. 
Some cases of Achilles Tendonitis can rupture the Achilles Tendon if left too long. If your symptoms don't show improvement within 1-2 weeks, see a Podiatrist.  In or near Mesa, Arizona Appointment Request with Dr. Clement.
1. If you are a runner or play other running sports, consider taking a week or two off.  Temporarily switch to an elliptical trainer or exercise bike (cross training) instead of running. ï»¿
2. Ice the back of the heel and Achilles Tendon. This can be done with a bag of crushed ice or freeze a Dixie cup half-filled water and tear off the rim of the cup until the ice is exposed (looks like a roll-on deodorant stick). Or use a no-mess device like the one show below.
3. Wear a heel lift device. Elevating the back of the heel slightly will reduce tension on the Achilles Tendon and result in less strain of the tendon throughout the day. Be sure to wear one in both shoes so as not to put you off balance. 
4. Take an over-the-counter oral pain medicine or anti-inflammatory medicine like acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve). 
5. Use a topical pain reliever such as Biofreeze.
6. Use a night splint to help hold the Achilles Tendon on mild stretch during sleep. Sleep is the body's prime time for healing, and the tendon needs to have normal tension on it to heal properly. 
night splint
7. If symptoms are improved after two weeks, then add daily calf stretching to your treatment. Stretch at least four times throughout the day for 60 seconds on each leg. 
calf stretch
8. Once symptoms resolve completely, continue daily stretching and supportive footwear. Discontinue the heel lifts and night splint. Gradually resume training for your sport of choice. 
If symptoms persist, see a Podiatrist. If you live in or near Mesa, Arizona, Appointment Request with Dr. Clement.